Monday, January 29, 2007

Did I Miss the Memo?? (A vent)

I think January must have been declared "Tell Crystal How Much She Sucks" month because that's exactly what has been going on. Did someone send out a memo, and I just missed it? In the past few days, I've been told in so many words that I'm small, horrible, harsh, foolish, rude, and "out to get" someone because of two things. What are those two obviously horrible things?

1.) Replying to someone's question, that no I do not plan on seeing An Inconvenient Truth and I don't believe the current theory on global warming.

2.) Disagreeing with someone and not sugar-coating it.

I didn't realize that not sugar-coating something I disagreed with made me out to be a monster. I'm not a rude or harsh person. Well, I guess I can be harsh with my dogs when they're disobedient and I can be a little snippety when in an argument with a family member, but I'm never just rude to people for the sake of being rude (except for the occasional telemarketer!) It's just not me. However, I'm very matter of fact and frank. A real tell it like it is type person. I guess some people can't handle that combined with the lack of facial expressions and voice inflections in online communication. I could easily be rude to people (I can't stand ignorance or stupidity - especially when combined with a know-it-all attitude!) but I respect people too much to act on it.

As for the first point, I don't even know what to say. I honestly couldn't stop laughing at that one. I'm glad it wasn't an "in person" conversation, because I think my laughter would have been seen as offensive. I'm so shocked by people sometimes. I am anything but ignorant when it comes to the topic of global warming and living "green". I just refuse to bow to the religion of it, and I actually realize that a DVD put out by a politician isn't the only (or best) source of info on the matter. I like living green. I prefer organic foods, I drive fuel efficient vehicles, I'd *love* a zero-energy home if it was within the realm of financial possibility. We try to recycle, we use energy efficient light bulbs when practical, I like rechargeable batteries (is that "green"?) I'm seriously considering bamboo flooring instead of oak or other hard woods, I try to take shorter showers and turn off the water while brushing my teeth. I avoid Styrofoam and junk like that, and would take paper over plastic if it were available. *sigh* But, I guess I'm still a monster. I mean, after all, I do exhale that horrible CO2 substance. I do generate waste. I do have an electric bill and fill up my car at a gas station instead of plug it into the wall. Oh, and I don't believe in the current theory of "global warming". So I guess that makes me (along with hundreds of scientists, climatologists, and other "experts") small, horrible, and foolish. Oh well. I guess I've been called worse. I'm a big girl... I can take it (and generate a ton of creepy CO2 while at it!) ;o)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Crystal!

I wanted to see if I could figure out how to leave you a comment (we'll see!).

Who in the world would think "Everybody" "needs" to see the same movie? Really? I tried to watch "Titanic" once --- couldn't get through it. I know people LOVE that movie, OWN that movie, WORSHIP that movie....it's a MOVIE. And I didn't care for what I saw. Big whoop.

To your detractor who insists that "An Inconvenient Truth" is the be-all, end-all for global information --- um, where did Al Gore get his information for the movie? I haven't seen it and don't plan to, but last I heard Al Gore was not a globe-hopping scientist running through the Amazon rainforest and Peruvian volcanoes collecting samples. My point being he got his information from SOMEWHERE -- not a movie -- so isn't it just as likely a regular Joe Schmuck would also get any global warming information from other, non-movie sources?

We're in big trouble the day we start popping in edited DVD's to get our "information" about ANYTHING from ANYBODY.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :oD

- J