Saturday, May 19, 2007

I've Got Maille

So tonight the man went to a co-worker's birthday bash and I decided to stay home and nurse my sore throat/achy body. I also took the opportunity to learn a new jewelry skill! The art of chain maille is ancient and frustrating beautiful. It's done by weaving little bitty rings together in a certain pattern. There are as many patterns to choose from as there are stars in the sky. Ok, so maybe not THAT many... but more than I could ever learn.

I decided to try one out. Of course, anytime I try something new with wire, I have to try it on my copper wire first because the sterling is so much more expensive. If I mess up with the copper, it's no big deal. If I mess up with the sterling, that kinda hurts! (Of course, messing up with the copper tonight hurt too, since I sliced my finger open... but that's neither here nor there.)

So here it is... a pair of earrings with a mother of pearl focal hanging from a chain maille weave. (Click for slightly larger photos.) I'm not entirely happy with it and might later on destroy it and use the mother of pearl pieces for something I like better. But for now, I'm happy and proud because I learned something new and (said in as corny a voice as I can muster) I've got maille!




6 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

They are quite beautiful and unique! That mother of pearl is really nice. How is copper for allergies and the like? I know that gold posts are good for people who have trouble wearing earrings but I've never even thought of copper.

Kristin said...

Good for you! I love to see all the new things you're learning. First the chain mail earrings, now the full chain mail shirt. :) (it'd be a good 2 years before we'd hear from you)

The Rock Chick said...

Wow. You are really talented! Not only do you have the skills to actually make these pieces, you have a great eye for the design. They really are beautiful!

Jessica The Rock Chick

Jessica Morris said...

I like them and would wear them looking like that!!

I keep meaning to send you this link - homesew.com I get their catalog and they have some jewelry stuff in it... I haven't checked the website but I am guessing they'll have it all too. Not sure if it's stuff you would use, but I thought I would tell you about it =) That was rather rambleyish ...

Anonymous said...

I can't do copper but I love Mother-of-Pearl! You're quite talented. God bless!

Darlene Schacht said...

I've never made jewelery. Can you believe it? Maille is beautiful, wow! I can imagine it could be frustrating, but again--beautiful.