Sunday, June 08, 2008

Won't you be my neighbor?

See, because if you were, you would get free food.

Caterpillars I guess don't like cucumbers, because we have cucumbers growing out our ears (Not literally, of course. That would be weird.) and none of them are hole-y. In the past week, I have picked about seven. We love cucumbers, but we just cannot eat that many. So I gave a couple away to our neighbors/friends/Realtors. We *heart* our neighbors/friends/Realtors. They have about a billion adorable children and are the nicest people we've ever met.

We like them so much, in fact, that they got not only free freshly picked cucumbers, but also an Amish Friendship Bread starter.

Dustin's co-worker gave us one a couple weeks ago. We followed the directions, baked it up, and realized it's yummy stuff. Now, you must know that I've just tasted it. A small taste. Most of the eating has been done by Dustin. See, I don't really care to put things in my mouth that involve spoiled milk. This recipe has milk, flour, sugar, yeast and I don't know what else sitting in a baggie on your counter for many many days. It smells like wine when it's finally ready to be baked. It tastes nothing like wine though (which, to be honest, I found mildly disappointing). You have to mash it daily, and add some more flour and milk and stuff and burp it every once in a while. Then on day 10, you add more stuff, put a cup of the mixture into four baggies (to give away as "starters") and cook what's left of the fermented mess (with some more added ingredients) into two loaves of very sweet and very moist bread.

It looks like this:



Yummm. Now, don't you wish you lived in Texas?

1 comment:

The Rock Chick said...

I love the taste of that friendship bread. My neighbor always makes it just for the heck of it and brings me some:) It's delicious!!!!!