Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Macro Mayhem

After surpassing even more goals, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and order my beloved Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. I ordered it quite a while ago, but the camera shop was closed for Sukkot, so it didn't ship for a week or so.

It came in yesterday.

I was afraid to open the box.

Then I opened the box and inside that box was another box.

I finally got up the nerve to open that box and take off the top piece of styrofoam.

Then I saw the big, honking manual.

I started to read the big, honking manual, then realized I cannot read Japanese.

Then I realized that I cannot read French.

Then I found the English portion and started reading.

I became very confused. This is a serious lens. I barely know bokeh. My brain can process "bokeh" but "magnification priority" and "infinity compensation mark", not so much.

I carefully put it on the camera body. I think it might actually be heavier than the body itself. Or at least even.

Then I played. I need some macro practice. And maybe a monopod or something, cause boy there's nothing like watching camera shake in action through that type of magnification! I'm glad I'm not a surgeon. *wink*


But it was fun playing around. I need lots more practice.

The nose agrees.


I'm thinking about posting an extreme macro close-up every week or two and seeing who can guess what it is. That would be fun. What do you think?

6 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

I love the practice with the doggie's nose! I think it would be fun to try to figure out the picture! Have fun with your new lens! I want one too!

Dustin said...

OOOH...could you get a close-up of the SKY?

THAT would be COOL!

Nicole said...

I am jealous! So very very jealous.

I like the idea of posting pictures and getting us to guess! That would be fun!

LOL @ Dustin's comment! He be funny!

Jessica Morris said...

:-p I think it sounds like an excuse to rub in the fact that you got your lens. That's what I think. ;)

Jen said...

Woohoo to new lens!

BeckeyZ said...

I want a new lens too. And I hear you about the weight. My super zoom is HEAVY.

I think it would be cool to guess at your macro shots.